Sunday, August 16, 2009

Visit to another island

Rachel, Marie, and I took a trip to another island-east of here. It is a much smaller island than the one that we currently live on. In the city (more like a town) there are many stores, including a mall. It is known as 'The island with a thousand Mosques.'

One thing that I really liked about this city is that within 15 minutes I can be in the 'country.' We are still not 100% sure if we will move here. However, if we do, I think that I will love living in a more village like setting yet being close to all the modern conveniences.


The Mall-which included a KFC and McDonalds.

It is known for its handcrafted pottery. Bottom Left: The place where they fire the pottery.


It is also known for its chilies, beautiful beaches, and Mt. Rinjani.

Rice drying out in the sun.



Of course we had to visit the market. Anyone hungry for some cow brains?

We had the opportunity to visit a village where we played with lots of children. We sang songs, played red light/green light, tag, and follow the leader.
Rachel has always said that she isn't a huge fan of kids but I think her heart is changing.

I led the kids in a game of follow the leader and tag. We marched, jumped, ran, turned around in circles, etc. . . So much fun!!!


Adorable! These 2 little girls loved to sing!

When visiting someone's house it is customary to serve VERY sweet tea and snacks. The people are very hospitable!


Sitting 'Indonesian' style.