
Rachel, Marie, and I went to Ibu A's neighborhood for their 'acara' (program). All the women brought a box of food that they exchanged with another person. The streets were filled with people sitting across from each other. The women and men sat separately. Very quickly, we heard "Bule! Bule!" (White Person! White Person!) It wasn't long before the MC asked us to come and sit. He asked us to sit with all the important men! We were being honored as a special guest. We politely thanked him and assured him that it was okay for us to sit with the women.
The program consisted of VERY loud music, reading of their Holy Book, pr.er, and shouting 'Merdeka' (Independence) repeatedly. Usually, only the important men receive food but they insisted of giving us a big tray of food. Also, before the men begin to eat the honored guest receives the top of the cone-shaped rice. They gave it (top of the rice) to us!! Even after being here 7 months I still am not used to all the attention and 'hoop-lah' that is shown to us.

We also attended our neighborhood program. This program consisted of lots of music. I loved listening to the children sing and dance!

What a fun week! I really enjoyed participating in and learning about their Independence Day!
